The holidays are here and with consumer spending expected to be at an all-time high, it’s hard not to stress about expenses. We all know we should make a holiday budget and stick to it (or at least try), but here are a few tips that will help make the holiday cheer last longer than the holiday bills:
- Make a list…and check it twice (just like the big man). Take some time to make a list of those you are thinking of this holiday season, how much you want to spend and any gift ideas. This will help you consolidate your shopping trips which means saving on your time, gas, and lessens the probability of impulse buying while you’re out.
- Take inventory. Look for things around your house that you don’t use and sell them for a little extra cash. Regifting unopened items can help you stay within that budget too!
- Ship directly to the recipient. Shopping online has its benefits (like easily comparing prices and using promo codes) and many retailers offer free shipping. Save on postage and time by shipping online orders directly to your out-of-town loved ones. Plus, for a small fee, you may even be able to have it gift wrapped!
- Team up for terrific presents. Forget the solo gifts and chip in for a big one with your friends. And for families, rather than buying for each member, consider something they can all share, like a yummy meal, a cool game, or a popcorn machine for movie nights.
- Give the gift of time. Value time spent with each other over money spent on each other. For example, host a holiday movie night, a gift-wrapping party, or go volunteer together. You’ll save money, have fun and help to make the holidays special. Sometimes even planning short trips or experiences as a family turn out to be less expensive than the shopping trips when you add up the time, gas, gifts and wrapping paper. Save your money and make those memories!
- And finally, don’t forget to utilize your financial partner. That’s us! Suncoast is dedicated to helping members with their individual financial needs. Lean on your dedicated Educators Choice banking specialist for personalized service and financial wellness opportunities that can help take away some of your holiday financial stress.
Plus, if you don’t have a fee-free checking account with us, open one and get a $100 cash reward.1 Or, if you’re already a member, be Santa's little helper by referring your family and friends to earn up to an extra $500!2 Contact your union’s Educator’s Choice relationship coordinator or email [email protected] for more details. You don’t even have to be on Santa’s nice list, just consider it a gift from Suncoast.
There you have it, a few tips to make your holidays just a little more merry and bright! Wishing you joy, peace, love and cheer this holiday season and into the new year!
1 Offer valid for new memberships and new Smart Checking Account. No minimum balance required to open or maintain Smart Checking account in order to receive the $100 reward. Your Smart Checking will earn 0.01% Annual Percentage Yield and is subject to change. Direct deposit or ACH from your employer or government agency in the amount of $10 or more must be made within 90 days from the date checking account was opened. You cannot transfer funds from another account. Payment of cash award is within 7 business days following the direct deposit or ACH. Not to be combined with any other offer. Deposit of $100 may qualify as taxable income and a 1099INT form will be issued reporting the value of this offer. Consult your tax advisor with any questions.
2To qualify for the $100 reward, the participant must be over the age of 18 and not be a current Suncoast Credit Union member. The participant must open a new membership and checking account at the time of membership opening with an annual percentage yield of 0.05% and 0.01% respectively. The participant must fund the account with a $25 minimum deposit within 30 days of account opening and keep $25 in the checking account for at least 45 days to receive the $100 reward. Minimum deposit required for membership of $5.00. The rewards will be sent to the participant via digital gift card within 30 days of meeting the 45 day/$25 balance requirement. Terms and Conditions